Monday, April 13, 2009

Brian Cox speaks of Carl Sagan

I miss Carl - I miss looking forward to hearing and seeing him on the radio and TV and I miss reading his ideas and descriptions of the things that matter most in our world.

Like Brian, I was also one of those who sat and listened and watched every one of those 13 episodes of Cosmos, and, through Carl, began to understand for myself the awsomeness and the beauty and the intrigue and the wonderful, jaw-dropping shear scale of those 'billions and billions' of stars and the unimaginable distances and dimensions between them.

One thing that has lived with me since the time I first heard Carl describe it was that we are all made of 'star-stuff'. All of the atoms except hydrogen that go to make each and every one of us has, at some time, been in a star...somewhere...long ago. That is just a staggering, humbling, fantastic concept to grasp. 'We are made of star stuff' - I've just found the quote in my hard back copy of the book on page 233. Bought at the time of the original transmission, re-read on countless occasions and treasured greatly, this book along with The Demon Haunted World has done more than I realise in shaping who I am and how I think.

"For we are the local embodiment of a Cosmos grown to self-awareness. We have begun to contemplate our origins: starstuff pondering the stars; organized assemblages of ten billion billion billion atoms considering the evolution of atoms; tracing the long journey by which, here at least, consciousness arose. Our loyalties are to the species and the planet. We speak for Earth. Our obligation to survive is owed not just to ourselves but also to that Cosmos, ancient and vast, from which we spring." — Carl Sagan, Cosmos.