Saturday, December 24, 2011

It's been an unusual year in so many ways. For an [admittedly superficial] insight into the personal stuff, here's the Christmas letter that went out to the dwindling band of recipients that still agree to have it foisted upon them at this time of year...or are too good natured to join with the growing band of those who say "Naaaahhh...don't worry about sending one this time".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yep, it’s that time of year - I’m taking a short break in thrashing the outside lights into submission/illumination to write this. For those of a nervous disposition, please feel free to jump down to Robyn and Mark's more interesting paragraphs below the fold. However, if you're up for a quick romp through Glynn's year then here goes...

Progressively organising things to enable me to work out of a laptop, partly through good fortune (but mainly by design), means far less commuting now and a much better view out of my office window than I have in Stoke. I'm very lucky in that my managers have either not noticed or just don’t care too much. It’s output and results right? Not being *seen* to be around the place like some sort of academic ballast. In fairness, many would argue that academic ballast sums me up rather well though.

Fortunately, the online courses that I've been working on throughout the year have recruited strongly - so much so that I fear their perceived success might compromise my increasingly desperate attempts to organise a sensible exit strategy into a caffeine, alcohol and e-book reader fuelled retirement. Negotiations continue...not that I'm desperate to leave by any means, although there are lots of changes taking place at the University right now and my eventual resting place after all this turmoil is far from clear. 2012 will indeed be a year of change.

Medically, my body struggles to conceal the ravages of time, neglect and occasional misuse. Imagine a cross between Keith Richard and a tortoise. That’s me that is. I tried statins but after a few weeks on these I started to feel really weird so the Doc and I exchanged emails and off I came. New Year’s resolution is back to the gym to justify my continued membership - of the gym and the human race.

Music-wise it’s been a busy time with a mixture of stuff. Jools Holland [postponed from the end of 2010 because of snow]; Paul Carrack [twice in fact]; the EU Chamber Orchestra and the English Chamber Orchestra [but not both at the same time]; Paul Brady; Brian Wilson at the Festival Hall; Ralph McTell; Glen Campbell; The Hollies; Tom Paxton; Bob Dylan and Mark Knopfler [at the same time but not actually on stage together…if you get my drift] and, just last week, Coldplay.

Seriously funny/clever people seen and sometimes chatted to include; Bill Bailey; Chris Cox; Jon Richardson; Ken Dodd [he was on my bucket list - so shoot me!]; Derren Brown; Rory Bremner; Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graeme Garden, Jeremy Hardy, Barry Cryer and Jack Dee at a recording of I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue; Uncaged Monkeys - Robin Ince, Brian Cox, Ben Goldacre, Simon Singh et al in Manchester and London. OK, maybe I am stalking them - so shoot me again!

Not too many serious-only people although Richard Dawkins & Sam Harris together at Oxford’s fine old Sheldonoian Theatre was a real highlight. Other memories, in no particular order, include The Anvil Company struggling desperately to complete an open-air performance of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Washout at Little Moreton Hall before the heavens opened, our new front bedroom windows and moving my mum to a new apartment in Madeley in the early summer where’s she’s now happy and settled. This. was. hard. work. Oh, and having tuition to help improve my spoken French - it’s a slow process, weaning me off years of Franglais.



Finally, I must end my bit on a desperately sad note. Our wonderful friend and companion for so many years, Taz, died a few weeks back. I cannot begin to describe the myriad of ways in which I miss her and, for me, she will for ever remain simply the finest, most beautiful cat I’ll ever know. For over 15 years she tolerated my strange lifestyle and gave more love and affection that I ever had the right to expect - provided she was fed regularly and allowed to sit on my knee, of course. I know that I speak for Rob and Mark, and all those others who’s lives she touched, in saying that her loss is irreplaceable and her memory is so very safe with every one of us.
Taz Skerratt, we salute you.


















Robyn says:
I have been very lucky this year and been on holiday three times. In August, I went on a whirlwind trip of Europe, visiting three capital cities in six days (Bratislava, Budapest and Vienna)! In September, I visited Portugal and in November Dad and I visited Berlin for my 25th birthday. Billy is always telling me I have too many holidays!
I am spending Christmas back in Stoke and in the New Year I am moving house to north London and hopefully halving my commute!
Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year,
Robyn x


…and Mark says:
Hi, this year seems to have gone so quick and I can't believe it's Christmas again. I've spent most of the year working between Stoke and Portsmouth. I'm in the last 9 months of my apprenticeship for Network Rail, when I finish ill become an Signal and Telecoms Engineer working mostly around the Stoke area. I'm really looking forward to finishing my apprenticeship. Apologises in advance if you're train is delayed around the Stoke or Crewe area if you're told it's 'Signalling Problems'.  I managed to get sometime in the sun going to Spain for a week which was a great break, shame about the summer in England though. Hope you're keeping well. Look forward to hearing from you soon.
Have a lovely Christmas.
Mark


So…wherever you are, have a wonderful Christmas and a very happy New Year. .. and best wishes from us all.